Ms. Geek Africa 2019 Application
ABOUT MS GEEK COMPETITION
This year, Girls in ICT Rwanda Celebrates the 6th anniversary of Ms. Geek with the 3rd edition of Ms. Geek Africa in partnership with Smart Africa, aimed at inspiring more girls into Science, Technology, Engineering and Math to meaningfully contribute to solving the continent’s challenges using technology.
Last year, we crowned the second Ms. Geek Africa, Salissou Hassane Yari Latifa from Niger during the annual Transform Africa Summit. The experience provides all finalists opportunity to compete and collaborate among peers as well as participate in the summit where they can interact with industry leaders and their governments.
Top 10 finalists undergo a weeklong intensive training program to equip them with presentation, public speaking and critical thinking skills to prepare them for competition day. Ms. Geek Africa is selected by a panel of judges and receives exciting prizes including a cash prize, phone and/or tablet, laptop, a trip to an international technology conference, among others. All expenses are covered for all selected finalists.
Applications for the 3rd edition of Ms. Geek Africa are now open until Sunday March 31st, 2019 at 5pm (CAT). The best solutions shall be selected to participate in the finals. Finals include a weeklong training, followed by two rounds of presentation where the top 3 shall be chosen and Ms. Geek Africa 2019 crowned during the closing events of the summit.
• Female between ages of 15 and 23 years old
• Citizen of African Union member states
• Contestants must be available to be in Rwanda between April 30th – May 10th, 2019 for training and Transform Africa Summit
1. Your application must describe the problem you want to solve and how you’ll solve it including a conceptual design, what technologies you are using/need to develop it, all stakeholders, how content will be generated, and shared.
2. Your solution must be original or an improvement to existing solutions.
3. You must consider many Africans have limited access to internet/smart devices.
4. A graphical presentation to accompany a concept note, demonstrating how the solution will work and an example of its user interface
1. Submit solution to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. All applications must be submitted in English or French.
3. Name the submitted application in this format: YOUR NAME-COUNTRY
4. Deadline for submission is March 31st, 2019 at 5pm (CAT). There shall be NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. If you have questions, please contact us on twitter @GirlsInICTRW or Facebook Page “Girls In ICT Rwanda.” More information at www.girlsinict.rw and smartafrica.org.