Name: Matthew A. OLUDE
Qualification: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), MSc, PhD
Secondary School attended: Stadium High School, Lagos – Nigeria
Tertiary Institution attended: University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- I got into my job by joined the services of the Department of Veterinary Anatomy, College of Veterinary Medicine, Federal University of Agriculture in the year 2006. I had previously worked with Zartech (a poultry business in Nigeria) as Professional Representative for the Day Old chicks department but left after a year to pursue my dream job which was to be a researcher.
- My work day usually starts at 8am and end at 6pm.I usually wake up a lot earlier to have some family time with my wife and boys (we are blessed with three handsome boys).
- On a typical day, I resume work at 8am, many times with a class in Veterinary Anatomy followed by either dissections or microscopy classes with students. I am currently Acting Head of Department, so I attend to memos after my classes or get involved in review sessions with Post graduate and final year students assigned to the Department. I may at other times, attend management meetings as scheduled. Every Friday, I join our laboratory meeting from 8.20am and it spans over 1 hour. This serves as our journal club. I try to take a break by 1 pm before concluding activities of teaching, research or administration till about 4pm when I resume at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital if on duty. Otherwise, I work till 5 or 6pm before retiring for the day. I endeavor not to take work home (…doesn’t always work though).
- The best part of my job is the interaction with students and colleagues (helping people achieve possibilities and greatness is my passion). I also enjoy the triumphs of publishing a good article with international reputation.
- The worst part of my job is definitely the long management meetings especially the stereotypical ones that lead to no action. I pray never to become a boring Professor.
- A memorable moment I have had was when obtaining my PhD and my research on the brain. This reminds me that working honestly and diligently, always brings a good reward.
- Outside of work, I play the piano, love to bake some nice treats with my kids and I write book reviews for publishers and authors. When I am not doing that, I sleep.
- My advise is this, put God first, work diligently and enjoy the process on your way up. Remember never to look down on others in judgment and finally, always seek to serve rather than be served.